Sunday, November 15, 2009

Multi-machines and fanfiction stories

Going to the hardware store today, I've realized something.

We have machines that do just about anything.

We have a juice maker, a bread maker, a toaster, a coleslaw maker, coffee machine, tea machine, oven, calculator etc.

One must wonder whether all of it is necessary. I mean, how much work can people actually not do? Think about it. We've striven to build literally every manner of device just to shirk doing work. You have a bread maker because you don't want to knead dough. You have a coffee machine because you don't even know how to make coffee. You have a calculator because you're too lazy to think. You use a computer to find information instead of going to the library. Well, that's actually a good point, really.

And if all the work was done by machines then what are people suppose to do? Sit in front of the telly and PC like zombies? (which by the way we and you and I are all doing now)

It gets so outrageous that the first thing we would most likely have robots do is to help us dress like in the movies. You'd literally be spoon fed and drinking out of a straw. Reminds me a bit of the humans in Wall-E.




*****

I read fanfiction.



People that know me (mostly) know that. If you hadn't known you know now. Though, you probably don't need to know. Confusing? Not like some fanfiction stories I've sifted through. I'm seriously contemplating quitting reading. Finding stories of good quality is like finding a needle in a haystack. Hard work and back breaking and sometimes doesn't pay. Mythbusters had to create wacky machines. I have to stare blankly in horror at the computer screen. I think I drew the short end of the stick there. It's more fun to build wacky devises.



But I digress.



There used to be some really nice fanfiction stories out there. There still more likely is. However they are getting increasingly scarce. The nicest stories I've read were all written years back. Looking for new material that rival is hard. Even worse, is that all the good ones that are NOT finished STAYS unfinished. Some good writers have been dropping their pens for unknown reasons. If it's because you're unsatisfied with your work, go read the story with the summary 'XY and XX go down for some luv XD first ficcy, R&R much more interesting than it sounds' with strange capital punctuations here and there.



I think what I read from one author comment is right. If you want good stories you have to write them yourself. Just that I'm downright lazy. There are some little bands of writers that ahve strived to maintain quality. Artemis Fowl fanfic for one has an archive. But the bad news is like all the good things it has been stagnant for a while.



Really though, what must one do just to read some nice fiction online? Rob a bank?






To those that have no idea what I have just ranted about, don't worry. You do not need to know. Instead enjoy some cello. This is from the movie 'Okuribito', the winner of the Foreign Film Award for this year's Academy Awards. If you haven't watched it, do so. It's pretty heartwarming.



This is by Joe Hisaishi. I think I'm going to look for other of his compositions. Best to listen to on a nice quiet night.


I have a polyp in my nose
or so it is supposedly :(

No comments: